Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
Please check this page regularly for updates and our response to the Coronavirus situation.
What is Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses known to cause respiratory infections. These can range from the common cold to more serious diseases such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS). The elderly and anyone with an underlying immune deficiency or pre-existing health condition are the most at risk of this disease and a range of precautionary measures are being taken nationally to limit the spread of the disease and protect those most at risk.
Steps RFBI has taken to protect our residents, clients and staff
As an aged care provider, RFBI has robust infection control measures in place and our staff are knowledgeable in how to mitigate the risks of an infectious disease outbreak and respond to this, should we have one in our villages or in an area where we deliver home care services. These procedures are regularly reviewed by our in-house Nurse Practitioner and updated in line with new information and recommendations from the Department of Health.
Supporting those in self-isolation, Monday 30 March
Over the weekend, the Government announced a range of financial supports to assist people and businesses who have been impacted by the forced business closures implemented over the past month. Even stricter social distancing rules have also been implemented, limiting interactions with just one other person at a time and the government has advised that anyone over the age of 70 should self-isolate for their own protection.
We recognise that these measures may leave some people feeling lonely and cut off from their friends and family. We want you to know that you are not alone and we are here to support you. If you are on a Home Care Package, our Care at Home team can help you stay connected with your loved ones and even do your shopping for you, if you would rather not venture out.
Please call your local Care at Home Coordinator or contact our Care at Home team on 1300 848 096 to discuss how we can help you.
Measures already in place that will remain:
- No visitors are now allowed within our Villages. Exemptions may apply for palliating residents with permission from the Village General Manager
- We will continue to admit new residents, however they will undergo pre-screening to ensure they do not put any of our current residents at risk
- All staff and contractors to have their temperature taken prior to entering the Village
- Group activities within Villages to be restricted to small numbers in line with social distancing protocols
- Outbreak Response Team at each Village
- Outbreak Management Toolkit for staff
- Outbreak Management Plan for staff in the event of a Coronavirus outbreak
- Additional cleaning at all villages
- Enhanced hand hygiene controls at all villages
- Mandatory additional staff training on infection control processes and procedures
- A dedicated email address so that we can respond promptly to any questions or concerns relating specifically to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and our response firstname.lastname@example.org
RFBI’s response to Coronavirus at specific RFBI Villages and Care at Home services
If you would like information about our response to Coronavirus specifically relating to any of our Villages, or Care at Home services, please feel free to call our team on 1800 181 959 or contact the Village or Care Coordinator directly.
- 29 March, Government updates on social distancing and financial assistance available
- 24 March, Media statement from Prime Minister of Australia
- 22 March, Media statement from Prime Minister of Australia
- 18 March, Department of Health: ‘Information for residents of residential aged care services, their family members and visitors’
How you can help prevent Coronavirus spreading
Advice from the health experts working on COVID-19 is that the most effective way of reducing your risk, and that of others around you, is by maintaining good hand hygiene. All of our staff have undergone additional mandatory hand hygiene training and we have placed information and hand sanitizer at the entrance to all of our Villages. Click here for tips on how to wash hands properly.
For more information you can also visit the Department of Health website.